It has been more than a year of the COVID-19 pandemic and we all long for a consistent level of normalcy, or at least have the option to it.
The crux of maintaining this normalcy is efficient vaccination.
Why we built this
Surplus Vaccines & Potential Wastage Indicators
We heard stories from friends and read multiple articles about the fact that due to the limited shelf life of some vaccines, a certain amount were left unused and were discarded / went to waste at the end of the day (e.g. due to appointment no-shows, demand miscalculations, batch opening mistakes, etc.).
Why waste supply when there is plenty of demand?
No Clear Solution To Empower & Support Vaccine Centers in the UK
Our exploration & user research led us to uncover the requirement for the following features to:
- Announce Availability: An effective solution for vaccine centers to share this surplus looking for demand did not exist.
- Be Discreet: We uncovered that some vaccine centers announcing availability (which is a good thing) felt that the intention could be incorrectly interpreted by the public, undesirably reflecting a form of ineffectiveness. Hence, a middle man that could do the hard work, bear the public brunt and facilitate the connection was desirable.
- Be convenient for people: Not matching surplus supply and demand effectively did lead to long queues outside vaccine centers, unnecessary multiple trips to the centers and undesirable time consuming waiting around just in case there would be availability.
- Provide fair access: People benefiting from this surplus were dispersed and dependent on their social circles.
- Vaccine Passports: The expected rollout will mean that opportunity and freedom of movement will be dependent on whether you are vaccinated.
Other Solutions Built Validated This Need
The conclusion of our investigation clearly indicated unmet needs that could be solved in a better way.
We want to avoid vaccine wastage, as we believe it’s better for a vaccine to go to someone, rather than the bin.
We want to help vaccine centers minimise the surplus and improve the experience for patients.
We think that there will be multiple C19 vaccination rounds, so this problem and needs will persist.
How you can help
While the citizen sign-up aspect of the platform is ready to use (“demand-side”), we are currently in the process of building the vaccine center flow (“supply-side”).
Our value is highly dependent upon how many vaccine centers we could successfully sign up.
Questions we need your help answering:
- What is the most efficient / centralized way for us to scale this approach on the vaccine center / supply side?
- Are there any legal / government approvals we would need to move forward?
- Who best we engage with next to move this forward (partners, etc.)?
If you have any questions, thoughts, feedback do get in touch with us on email@example.com
You can get in touch with us directly on LinkedIn too.